Apply for Stop Deduction of Monthly Commutation Amount after 10 Yrs 8 Months

Alongwith pension you might have opted to get a lump sum amount which is a portion of your pension. The commutation of pension refers to  accumulated part of pension which is paid in advance payment as a lump sum amount as you opted to surrender voluntarily by the pensioner based on the duration of period in relation to the age of pensioner. The commuted portion of pension is recovered/deducted every month from your pension so fixed upto 15 years in general.  

The recommendations of 6th CPC were implemented by Govt of India, Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare vide letter No F. No. 38/37/08 P&PW(A) dated 2 Sep 2008 and revised commutation table was issued based on 8% interest. The provisions of this OM was made applicable to all central Govt to employees by the respective ministries including Min of Def Therefore at the time of retirement the commutation value has been disbursed to me based on revised Table based on @8% interest.

You might have noticed that recently CWP No 2490-2024 Titled Ram Saroop Jindal Vs State of Punjab and others has been filed before Hon’ble Punjab and Haryana High Court with prayer to restore the commuted portion of pension after 10 years and 08 months (128 months) instead of 15 years (180 months) as the recOvery of Commuted portion of pension along with interest thereon at the prescribed rate of 08% per annum stands already fully recovered in 128 months. The Hon’ble High court while issuing the notices of motion has also passed directions that “further recovery shall remains stayed.”

All pensioners who have opted to get commutation of pension and which is yet to be restored, are similarly placed and in all cases the commuted portion of pension also has been recovered/ likely to be recovered upto 15 long years.  The competent authority may review all the cases and stop further recovery of the portion of pension where deduction/recovery has already been made for 10 years 8 months or more and refund excess amount already recovered to avoid unnecessary litigation.

A sample format of personal application addressed to PCDA (Pension) and concerned Record Office is also placed here for your ready use.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top